Last updated April 2021
- The Great Plague Scare of 1720: Disaster and Society in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World (under advance contract with Cambridge University Press).
- Urban Disasters (under advance contract with Cambridge University Press for series Cambridge Elements in Global Urban History).
- Environmental Disaster in the Gulf South: Two Centuries of Catastrophe, Risk, and Resilience. Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2018. Editor.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES & CHAPTERS
- “Managing Disaster and Understanding Disease in the Early Eighteenth Century,” Pre-Modern Environment & Disease, edited by Lori Jones. London: Routledge, forthcoming 2022.
- “Spanish Foundations of the French Quarter: Rebuilding Colonial New Orleans in the Wake of Disaster,” for volume on port cities of the Atlantic World, edited by Jacob Steere-Williams and Blake Scott. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, forthcoming 2022.
- “Memory and the Representation of Public Health Crises: Remembering the Plague of Provence in the Tricentennial.” Environmental History (forthcoming, October 2021).
- “The History of Science and the Science of History: Computational Methods, Algorithms, and the Future of the Field,” with Abraham H. Gibson. Isis 110, no. 3 (September 2019): 555-66.
- “Swamp Things: Invasive Species as Environmental Disaster in the Gulf South,” with Abraham H. Gibson. In Environmental Disaster in the Gulf South: Two Centuries of Catastrophe, Risk, and Resilience, edited by Cindy Ermus. Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2018.
- “The Spanish Plague That Never Was: Crisis and Exploitation in Cádiz During the Peste of Provence.” Special issue on Humans and the Environment in the Long Eighteenth Century, Eighteenth-Century Studies 49, no. 2 (January 2016): 167-93.
- “The Plague of Provence: Early Advances in the Centralization of Crisis Management.” Arcadia: Environment & Society, no. 9 (2015).
- “Reduced to Ashes: The Good Friday Fire of 1788 in Spanish Colonial New Orleans.” Louisiana History: The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association LIV, no. 3 (Summer 2013): 292-331.
OP-ED PIECES & SCHOLARLY JOURNALISM
- Stat News: “When bubonic plague hit France in 1720, officials dithered. Sound familiar?” May 25, 2020. Also published on Fr24 News, in French: “La peste bubonique a frappé la France en 1720. Les fonctionnaires ont hésité. Semble familier?”; and in English: “The bubonic plague struck France in 1720. The officials hesitated. Seems familiar?” May 25, 2020.
- The Washington Post: “The danger of prioritizing politics and economics during the coronavirus outbreak: Three hundred years later, the lessons of the Great Plague of Provence are sounding an alarm.” March 13, 2020.
- In Cuba Today: “The Cuban Revolution and Me.” July 5, 2016. Cover story (also on www.AgeofRevolutions.com).
- The Miami Herald: “What does it mean to be ‘a product of the Cuban Revolution.’” July 25, 2016. Published in Spanish in El Nuevo Herald & En Cuba Hoy (cover story): “¿Qué significa ser ‘un producto de la revolución cubana.’” July 25, 2016.
Selected Digital Projects
- Age of Revolutions Journal. Co-founder, Co-Executive Editor, and contributor. 2015-present.
- Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité: Exploring the French Revolution. Associate Producer, 2019 update. 2019-present.
Selected Digital Publications
- “A Fifth Revolution Around the Sun,” with Bryan Banks. Age of Revolutions Journal. November 2020.
- “Leadership Matters in the First Days and Weeks of an Outbreak: Lessons from the Great Plague of Marseille, 300 Years Later,” Voltaire Foundation Enlightenment Blog. April 2020.
- “A Fourth Revolution Around the Sun,” with Bryan Banks. Age of Revolutions Journal. December 2019.
- AHA Member Spotlight. Invited to write an autobiographical profile for the Perspectives on History Member Spotlight. September 2019.
- “A Third Revolution Around the Sun,” With Bryan Banks. Age of Revolutions Journal. November 2018.
- “Environmental Disaster in the Gulf South: Scholarship on Catastrophe, Risk, and Resilience.” LSU Press Blog. February 2018.
- “A Second Revolution Around the Sun: Year End Review.” Age of Revolutions Journal. December 2017.
- “AoR Anniversary: Celebrating Our First Revolution Around the Sun,” with Bryan Banks. Age of Revolutions Journal. November 2016.
- “The Cuban Revolution and Me.” Age of Revolutions Journal. July 2016.
- “Blogging the Age of Revolutions.” Interview for Process Blog for American History: The Blog of the Organization of American Historians (OAH), with Bryan Banks. April 2016.
- “Plague Cultures: The Peste of Provence and the Glorious Revolution.” Age of Revolutions Journal. December 2015.
- Review of Inventing Disaster: The Culture of Calamity from the Jamestown Colony to the Johnstown Flood, by Cynthia A. Kierner (University of North Carolina Press, 2019) in Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era (January 2021).
- Review of A Not-So-New World: Empire and Environment in French Colonial North America, by Christopher M. Parsons (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018) for H-Environment Roundtable Reviews, v. 10, no. 8 (August 2020).
- Review of Liberty or Death: The French Revolution, by Peter McPhee (Yale University Press, 2016) in Canadian Journal of History /Annales canadiennes d’histoire (Winter 2017), 592-94.
- Review of Natural Interests: The Contest over Environment in Modern France, by Caroline Ford (Harvard University Press, 2016) in Canadian Journal of History /Annales canadiennes d’histoire (Autumn 2017), 349-51.
- Review of Assumed Identities: The Meanings of Race in the Atlantic World, edited by John D. Garrigus (Texas A&M University Press, 2010) in Louisiana History: The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association Vol. LIV, No. 2 (Spring 2013), 216-18.